There have been some reports that players may be using illegal bats. This is a reminder for all managers in particular but parents too when purchasing a bat. The bat rules can be found in the 2014 PONY Rule book on page 15 under section C. They are also posted below. We do want to emphasize that 2 3/4” barrel bats are prohibited in all divisions of PONY Baseball.
C. Wooden, metal, graphite or ceramic bats manufactured for baseball play, which are round and not more than two and five eighths inches in diameter at the thickest part, not more than 42 inches in length, are acceptable. No bat shall be used if dented, cracked, modified or misshaped.
(1) Bats manufactured specifically for use in tee ball play, shall not be used when the ball is pitched by a player, coach or pitching machine. Coach-pitch bats will only be used in coach-pitch using a safety ball.
(2) 2-¼″ BARREL bats are legal in all divisions of PONY Baseball. They must have a Bat Performance Factor (BPF) of 1.15 stamped on the bat. In addition the bat must be stamped “Approved for play in PONY Baseball”.
(3) 2-⅝″ BARREL bats are legal in all divisions of PONY Baseball. If a 2-⅝″is -3, it must be BBCOR certified (stamped on the bat). Currently all 2-⅝″ bats -5, -7, -9, etc. are legal.
(4) 2 3/4” barrel bats are prohibited in all divisions of PONY Baseball.
(5) Effective January 1, 2014, Colt and Palomino will only be allowed to use 2-⅝″ -3 BBCOR certified bats.