The 3 local PONY sanctioned tournaments hosted by Walnut will conclude on Sunday. The Pinto-7 Region will have a match-up between West Covina Red and Whittier Red to determine the East Region champion (Walnut’s team was eliminated on Saturday with their second loss). The winner and all teams will move on to the Pinto-7 Super Region.
The Bronco Section 2 tournament will see West Covina Blue go against La Canada for the ship. Walnut came from 7 runs behind to beat Charter Oak Blue in the Saturday morning game but then lost later in the day to La Canada 18-0. They will face off against the Section 1 third place team, Duarte, in order to get the wild card entry at the Bronco Region tournament.
The Walnut Mustang 10U team will be in the Mustang Section 2 championship game against Monrovia. Walnut has won both it’s section games including an 8-5 victory vs. Diamond Bar on Saturday. Monrovia will need to win the first game and then win the second game (scheduled for immediately after the first game, if needed).
A brief wrap-up from the other Walnut teams in action on Saturday.
- Shetland 4U, Foal, was eliminated from the Region, with a loss to La Mirada today but all teams advance to the West Zone World Series.
- Shetland 5U, lost to Hart but then defeated Simi Valley to stay alive in the Shetland-5 Region.
- Shetland 6U lost to Pasadena at Regions but will play tomorrow.
- Pinto 8U won again with a 6-5 triumph against Charter Oak also at Regions. They have now clinched a spot at Super Regions.
- Pony 13U lost twice on Saturday and were eliminated from further tournaments.